Major Module II
The examination will be an online-exam consists of a written exam of 60 minutes via sciebo.
1. Exam: Wednesday, December 16, 2020; Time: 7.00 pm - 8.00 pm
2. Exam: Thursday, February 18, 2021, Time: 2.00 pm - 3.00 pm
Please keep in mind that you need to register for the examination within the corresponding registration period. It is NOT possible to register after the registration period. Note that no responsibility is taken for the correctness of the information. Please refer to the Examination Office for all examination-related questions.
Zum Bestehen der Veranstaltung muss eine 60-minütige schriftliche Online-Prüfung via Sciebo abgelegt werden.
1. Prüfungstermin: Mittwoch, 16. Dezember 2020, Uhrzeit: 19:00 - 20:00 Uhr
2. Prüfungstermin: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2021, Uhrzeit: 14:00 - 15:00 Uhr
Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie sich nur innerhalb der vorgegebenen Fristen für die Klausur anmelden können. Es ist NICHT möglich, sich nach Ablauf der Frist nachträglich anzumelden. Es wird keine Verantwortung für die Richtigkeit der Informationen übernommen. Bitte informieren Sie sich beim Prüfungsamt über alle klausurbedingten Fragen.
Managing large-scale retail companies is less of an art and more of a science often requiring the use of complex theoretical and applied fundamentals in strategic planning and analysis as well as customer and market intelligence. Retailing may be, in many respects, a "people business” but managing branches and chains of stores also requires familiarity and understanding of, e.g., location planning tools and of a wide range of retail management metrics. To be and to stay competitive in today’s retail market, companies need strategies that meet customers’ highest expectations and their projected profit margins. Strategic Management in Retailing prepares the new generation of managers in the retailing industry with the tools for building a successful market strategy. The course provides the student with a comprehensive view of retailing, an analysis of the (international) retail space and exposure to new developments in the industry. Retailing is an exciting and very dynamically evolving industry, and successful companies will need to know how to identify, adapt, and plan with these changes. The objective of this course is to teach students among others to carry out a strategic analysis (STP), develop corporate branding strategies, conduct location planning (nationally and internationally), and to control the essential financial metrics. In this course, students will be trained to produce strategic plans by studying theories and methods as well as day-to-day business development in retail companies implementing the case study method.
- Process of strategic planning
- Segmentation, targeting, positioning
- Internationalization strategies
- Location models
- Performance metrics and retail controlling
- Retail branding
- Retail best-practices
The pedagogy of this course will entail bith conceptual and applied elements, including case studies, lectures, and the participation of guest speakers with in-depth experience in the field. Readings will be announced in class.
- learn about the importance of retailing
- assess current trends in retailing
- develop a strategic view on managing retail companies
- use theoretical approaches to analyse existing and new retail markets
- earn about metrics to measure retail performance
- know about best-practices.