Letter of Recommendation
Prerequisites for a Letter of Recommendation:
- Students must be enrolled at the University of Cologne. We cannot provide letters of recommendation for students enrolled at other universities.
- Students should have successfully passed one of the courses offered by the Marketing Area. The successful completion of a seminar, bachelor or master thesis at the Marketing Area also justifies the request of a letter of recommendation.
We kindly ask you to send your documents to one of the following Marketing Area team members depending on where you passed the respective course(s)/thesis:
For course(s)/thesis passed at
send your documents to
Prof. Dr. Hernán Bruno
Prof. Dr. Marc Fischer
Prof. Dr. Werner Reinartz
Dr. Thomas Scholdra
Prof. Dr. Franziska Völckner
|Jun.-Prof. Dr. Martin Fritze|| |
Jun.-Prof. Dr. Martin Fritze
Please, send your documents only to one contact person. Note that letters of recommendation oftentimes require an individual assessment of course performance relative to all students who passed the same exam. Due to data privacy reasons, the chairs of the marketing area cannot exchange such information. Thus, when choosing a contact person you should consider which course performances the respective chair is able to evaluate in detail.
- Students must request a letter of recommendation at least 4 weeks before their application deadline as it takes some time to set the letter up.
- There might be an interview testing the student’s qualification for spending a semester abroad, applying for scholarships, etc.
- Letter of motivation, outlining the reason for your request for a letter of recommendation, the institution/program you would like to apply for, and, why you would like to apply at the specified institution or for the specified program.
- Official template for a letter of recommendation in digital format (if possible) or at least notation on the institution’s website indicating that a letter of recommendation is required. If there is a designated contact person at the university/foundation, provide us with the needed information, as we will draw up the letter of recommendation accordingly.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current transcript of records and ranking certificate
(‘Notenübersicht’, not older than 4 weeks and 'Ranking-Bescheinigung' if available)
- Bachelor’s certificate with grades (for master students)
- High school certificate (‘Abiturzeugnis’)
- Language proficiency certificates (if available)
- Work experience certificates (internships, extracurricular activities, etc.; if available)
- In case you are planning to spend a semester abroad, we expect you to present a detailed curriculum of courses you are planning to take during your semester abroad and an explanation of how these courses fit into your course of studies at the University of Cologne.
Accreditation and Transfer of Credits Obtained at Other Universities
The department of the Marketing-Area at the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences at the University of Cologne explicitly recommend students to spend a semester aboard. Furthermore we would like to encourage you to attend courses at host universities which are not offered at the University of Cologne.
The accreditation of credit points has been centralized through the Wiso-Anrechnungszentrum. For any questions related to the accreditation, please contact anrechnung[at]wiso.uni-koeln.de.